2017 Plant-Fungal Interaction Summer Internship - University of West Alabama
This internship is supported by a grant from the National Science Foundation's, award number 1354050. This program awards 2 biology undergraduates summer internships to conduct guided research in plant-fungal interaction.
Who can participate? Students between their junior and senior years are ideal. Interns will work in Dr. Morsy lab that focuses on the role of fungal endophyte and viruses in crop environmental stress tolerance. The intern will be part of the team that include the project Principal Investigator (PI), his postdoc, research associate, and graduate and undergraduate students. Interns will work semi-independently on a project assigned by the project PI. The interns will present written and oral reports at the end of the summer. The program will run for 10 weeks (June 1 -August 10), however, the time period can be flexible based on the intern needs.
Interns will be expected to attend weekly lab meetings and seminars presented by faculty and research staff. Student support includes a $4,000 stipend, a discounted on campus housing, and travel assistance for the 10-week session.
How to apply?
- At least 2 semesters of undergraduate coursework (rising sophomore)
- Must be a US citizen, permanent resident or foreign student enrolled at a US University
Please submit your application with all supporting documents listed below as an email attachment to email@example.com. Application material includes:
1. Application form (click here for application form)
2. Current Resume
3. Transcript: Please provide a copy of your most recent transcript. An unofficial transcript is acceptable
4. Research Statement: Please describe previous research experiences (if none, so state), long term professional goals, one or two paragraphs describing why you are interested in the project(s) you have applied for
5. A letter of recommendation from a faculty member in your major field sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Mustafa Morsy at email@example.com or (205) 652-5541.
Applications from women and members of minority groups are especially encouraged. The deadline for submission is April 15, 2017. Selection and notification of offers for the program will be made by the end of April.
© 2014, All Rights Reserved to Morsy Laboratory, Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences, University of West Alabama
These materials are not endorsed, approved, or provided by or on behalf of the University of West Alabama.